Question 9: How do you actually become a Christian?
Becoming a Christian is simply a matter of accepting the offer God makes to you through his Son, Jesus Christ.
This invitation is to:
- Receive forgiveness and perfect acceptance with God on the basis of the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross.
- Become a part of his kingdom by accepting Jesus (who God has made the ruler) as your boss.
Is that what you want?
If it is then you can do it any time by simply telling God that you want to accept his offer. But before you do, it might be good to make sure you understand some of the implications of this accepting this invitation.
Here a nine things that becoming a Christian means.
- Becoming a Christian means you realise you personally aren’t good enough for God and need Jesus’ help (see Luke 18:9-14; Romans 3:23-24).
- Becoming a Christian means being sure God would let you into heaven if you died right now – not because you are good enough but because Jesus has made things right between you and God (see John 5:24).
- Becoming a Christian means you can approach God in prayer with perfect confidence that he loves you and wants to listen and help you (see John 16:27; Hebrews 10:19-23).
- Becoming a Christian means you are no longer boss of your own life. It is agreeing to live with Jesus as your ruler (see Matthew 7:21-23).
- Becoming a Christian means you can no longer make up your own mind about what’s right for you – it means listening to God through his Word, the Bible.
- Becoming a Christian might mean being mocked or even persecuted for the sake of Jesus (see Mark 13:12-13).
- Becoming a Christian means that the best parts of life are still to come when Jesus returns to live with his people forever (see 1Peter 1:13-19).
- Becoming a Christian means realising there is no ultimate future in any other path (see John 14:6; Acts 4:11-12).
- Becoming a Christian means being a part of God’s new community the church. The great thing about this is that God has given you gifts to become essential part of it. The hard thing is that the church is composed of people like (or even worse than!) you.
- Becoming a Christian means knowing God will never abandon you but will help you live out this new life now and to the end of eternity (see Hebrews 13:5-6).
If you still want to become a Christian then why not do it now? It’s the best thing in the world.